Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Walk it out

Many of you know I'm a big runner. I yap about it all the time here. But one thing I don't do enough (when it comes to working out and enjoying life) is just slow down and take a walk. Maybe it's not the best cardiovascular exercise, or the most challenging physical activity, but every time I do it, I find myself refreshed and at peace. It's mind-clearing and fun.

It's especially nice when you get a chance to do it with friends or someone you love. It always makes for good conversation, an enjoyable time and a better appreciation for taking time out to do something simple and active in a nice setting.

I'd be remiss if I didn't at least offer some information on the benefits of walking, because I try and make this a resource. Most of them will fall in the "duh factor" category, but knowing that just doing it 30 minutes a day a few times a week reduces the risk of breast cancer, stroke, hypertension and many other maladies is reason enough to get out there and put one foot in front of the other, right?

Are you a walker? Do you have a favorite place to get out and do it? 

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I love running and getting my heart rate up, but it is really nice to walk and talk with my loved one. I always find it to be productive and extremely therapeutic, and San Diego is filled with wonderful spots to explore...beaches, parks, mountains....no excuse not to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking rules! It always clears my head when I'm feeling confused or frustrated. Thanks for the reminder to get out there and walk it off ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate you taking the time to do it! - Jesse