Thursday, July 21, 2011

Something Awesome

Something truly awesome happened today that made me appreciate both my work in fitness and people in general. True Story:

I have been working with a client, Sean, for about a month now. He's an extremely hard worker, and a great guy. I truly respect him for how much he puts into every session with me. I enjoy every time I work him out.

This evening, Sean and I were working out down in Mission Bay, and had just gotten things going. He was jumping rope behind my car when another car pulled up directly behind him, spooking me (and Sean, I think). A guy jumped out of the car and semi-ran up to us. I expected a request for directions, or some form of craziness.

Instead, the guy proceeded to say this:

"Hey, I was just driving by and wanted to stop because five weeks ago, my wife and I were down here and we saw you two guys working out. (Turns to Sean). Man, you have made such a great improvement and you can tell you're working really hard - you look great. I just figured I'd stop to tell you that unless no one else ever does. Keep it up."

I swear that is exactly what he said. I remember because I will never ever forget that feeling. I can honestly say it was one of the most kind, thoughtful things a person could do in that situation, and I can only hope that it made Sean feel as good as it made me feel. Basically, my jaw was on the ground and I literally couldn't say anything because I was so appreciative of what this guy had done, and so unprepared for it.

Moral? I'm not sure. But I think it's pretty basic ... if you take the time to do kind things for people, you will make someone feel better, sometimes exponentially so. Like tonight. I know that I learned a little about myself  when it happened; that I can and will do a better job of just stopping to make someone's day more often.

The lasting image for me will be the man's wife leaning out the window with both thumbs up saying "GREAT JOB" as Sean picked up the jump rope and got back to work. Great night.

3 comments:

  1. wooow that was amazing ,, no word can describe it ,, graet and nice people .. Keep going Sean and good luck 4 u two ,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so amazing! How incredible of that couple...words of encouragement can go such a long way, and it isn't often that we get to hear it, especially from strangers. What great people, and so proud of you and Sean for working so hard :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's actions like those that make others want to do good. thanks for sharing. i might just go out and do something nice for someone now : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate you taking the time to do it! - Jesse