Friday, April 15, 2011

Box Jumps



I'm always on the lookout for exercises that are challenging, portable and a little different. While plyometrics have certainly begun to attract more fanfare lately, I think that many people still shy away from them for one reason or another. Many do so for good reason - they are not strong enough or mobile enough to attempt them - but I also think many people are intimidated with some of the movements and perceived challenges that go along with them. Box jumps (a cornerstone of plyometric leg work) are definitely one of the exercises that fall into that category.

When I train people using these (once I know they have strong enough leg muscles to do so, great balance and a desire to push themselves - these are pre-requisites for sure), the first thing that I inevitably notice when I put a 24- or 30-inch plyo box in front of them is the "ummm, I don't think I can do this" look/shrug/sigh/fear-addled babbling. It's understandable. Many people have no concept of their vertical leap or ability to get up and down off of something quickly. However, once someone is sufficiently motivated, a demo is done and  ONE rep is completed successfully, box jumps can be super empowering and quite addictive, in the sense that a person typically wants to see how high they can go/how many they can do in a minute, etc.

I love to work them into leg (or full body workouts) because of the incredible anaerobic and speed/power benefits, and the fact that they target each major muscle group in the lower body--quads, hamstrings, glutes, calves, etc. If you want some more info on the basics and benefits of box jumps, check out this article.  

I'm also partial to them because all you need is an elevated flat surface on which to do them. Park benches, picnic table seats, tree stumps, outdoor stairs and tires are all things I've used in the past and will likely use again. Of course, you need to be sure you can do the exercise safely and in a way to achieve the desired benefit, but for a guy who does a lot of outdoor training, they're incredible.

Check out this video to see an insane example of the box jump in action - 63 inches!! That's like jumping over Muggsy Bogues for those of you who know your NBA.

Anyone out there have experience with these? I know the Crossfitters that follow this blog will have done them. Also, if you're in the boot camp, be ready  .... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate you taking the time to do it! - Jesse