Thursday, October 28, 2010

Viva Los Thrusters

I interned at a Crossfit gym over the summer and had an awesome experience. (Insert shameless plug for Crossfit Sun in Poway, CA. While I was there, I learned a lot about functional fitness, working as a team and pushing past one's perceived limits.

On a more micro level, I learned a BUNCH of exercises -- and proper form for executing them -- that I have incorporated into my own workouts, the regimens at my boot camps, and am excited to use with future clients. One of those that I love the most are thrusters.  They're a part of many Crossfit WODs and have brought me to my mental and physical limits many times, which is a good thing.

I love them because they're tough, they're a full body workout, and they really force good form in order to execute them. They are basically a combination of a front, dumbbell/barbell -weighted squat and a push/shoulder press. They work legs (squat), core (balance/posture), shoulder and triceps (press) and forearms (grip/press) in one fluid motion.

If you've never tried them, use an unweighted bar first to get the movement down. I'll save you step-by-step explanations and link to a video for you to check out. Once you've got the form down, use them as a great anchor for a full-body workout. And remember, you can ALWAYS go a little further/harder than you think.

3 comments:

  1. Thrusters (aside from Bulgarian Split Squats) are one of my most despised movements. Probably, because it takes everything you've got to pull 'em off! :) Lord, help me if both are in one workout. #JelloLegs

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure ... Crossfit WOD-designers often times have a bit too much fun inflicting (mental and physical) torture via leg workouts. I'll make sure I work them into the next boot camp you attend ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Know more about the social media platforms and get tips by clicking here

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate you taking the time to do it! - Jesse